Friday, January 7, 2011

AMERICAN GOLD



SUZANNA FORD CARAFANO
OWNER STYLIST DESIGNER, AMERICAN GOLD & SPANISHMOSS

"Tell me about how you came up with the name Spanish Moss?
I’m really into the American South, Southern Gothic literature and road tripping through that part of the country as often as possible. I’ve always found the spanish moss that drapes and hangs off live oak trees so haunting and magical.

How did you get started in selling vintage?
My move to the border area of Texas was a huge transition period in my life - I'd had several "career" jobs. When I moved to the Texas desert for a short time, I was completely ready to quit the rest of the world and start over. The rest is history!

You have so many great retro pics on your blog? Which old school ladies are you loving right now?
Thank you! Evelyn Nesbit, Anita Pallenberg, Jane Birkin, always Stevie Nicks, Marianne Faithful, Pamela Des Barres, Francoise Hardy, Emmylou Harris…

What are the best resources for scoring a great vintage piece? Is there a city/state that is surprisingly awesome for it?
Oregon, New Mexico, Los Angeles and Nebraska tend to be consistently amazing.

Can you pick your best vintage score ever?
A gold-studded Carolina Herrera velvet motorcycle jacket.

Do you have a fashion uniform?
I suppose when I’m lazy my tried and true is a simple white Alexander Wang tank, my black cotton fishtail maxi skirt, my Led Zepplin studded motorcycle jacket, Katheryn Amberleigh booties or Maurie & Eve Motorcycle platforms and my suede fringe bag. Lots of turquoise jewelry.

Your idea of fashion heaven?
Any gas station gift shop in New Mexico or Arizona that sells turquoise, 90s southwestern ponchos, tacky motorcycle tees and dream catchers. Scout Willis told me her mom has a huge warehouse in Idaho filled with vintage collections. I have a feeling that might be my fashion heaven."






LET IT BLEED BELLS & KIND HEARTED WOMAN KIMONO
SPANISHMOSS