Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Love PAMELA LOVE






As an avid jewelry collector, the first time I saw Pamela Love's collection I was instantly taken with her unique designs. Her eagle-claw cuff is the perfect rock n' roll accessory unlike anything
 I had ever seen.

Jewelry designer, stylist, artist, musician, Pamela Love is the coolest of cool girls. Her early designs were featured in Gap's Fall 2008 ads and she also collaborated with Eddie Borgo for Marchesa's spring fashion show. Pamela is quite the multi-tasker. In between constructing fantastical body armor for Frank Tell and tough-chic jewelry for Yigal Azrouël's Fall '09 shows, she also expanded her own line as well. Love’s Fall ’09 collection consists of quartz crystal necklaces wrapped in cobras, tribal-style bracelets composed of heishi beads bound together by leather, peacock rings decorated with emeralds, and eagle claw pendants dangling from delicate chains.

Her jewelry is designed to be worn by creative, free spirits with their own sense of personal style “and an eye for interesting things," Love told Joanna Williams for Closet Couture in an April interview. "Those sorts of contrasts are important. I like irony."





When did you know you wanted to be a jewelry designer?

I don't think it was something I ever really knew. It just sort of happened and one day I was like "Oh wow, I'm a jewelry designer."

What inspired you most recent collection?

Magic and Spirituality

Who would you like to see in Pamela Love?

People who really love and appreciate what I am doing

Who are your style icons?

Neil Young, Bianca Jagger, Jennifer Herrema of the band Royal Trux, Joan Didion, Bob Dylan, Edie Beale, Louise Nevelson, and my grandmother

Are you all about signature pieces?

I have a lot of signature pieces that I wear every day that aren’t my own. I wear a lot of stuff that I find, antiques.

What other jewelry designers do you love?
Elsa Peretti, obviously. I love what Derrik from Black Sheep and Prodigal Son has done — that stuff is unreal. I really love Digby and Iona.
How would you describe your personal style?
A mixture of high and low, like masculine-feminine, old and new. 
What's the first designer item you ever bought?
My mom bought it for me. It was a Betsey Johnson full-length floral bodysuit with a chiffon skirt. And I have pictures of me wearing it, somewhere. It was black, full length, long sleeves, floral.
Who are your favorite designers?

Ann Demeulemeester. I love Alexander Wang. Sonia Rykiel. Marc Jacobs is so great and classic. I love seventies Yves Saint Laurent for going out and dressing up. I love my friend Frank Tell. He’s doing the most amazing stuff.

What's something every woman needs?

A signature necklace, whatever necklace that you love, love, love or whatever ring that you never take off. A really amazing and wearable pair of heels, wedges, or pumps. And a really good pair of boots.



Interview excerpts from: 
Amina Akhtar for The CUT 
Joanna Williams for Closet Couture